Saturday, March 6, 2010

Packing Up


At least Brady is excited about it! He has some super fun sleep overs to look forward to!

I, on the other hand, am trying not to think about it too much, but time seems to be moving along faster than I am, so it's time to just get 'er done.

Hard to know what to pack when you really don't know what it's going to be like! The only thing I know to pack for myself are clothes that will double as appropriate pajamas (!). Even though they have arranged a place for us to stay right across from the hospital, one of us will always be with Nate, and I have a feeling it will be pretty hard for me not to be with him during the nights!

Here's our plan:

Monday - appointment with Nate's cardiologist in Winnipeg at 1:00pm, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Fly to Edmonton at 4:30pm, arriving at about 5:30 local time. Shuttle to the hotel will take about an hour. Then, try to get some sleep!

Tuesday - Nate will have to be fasting for his sedated ultrasound, and have no liquids past 7am. Report to the hospital at 7am, when appointments with the surgeon, anesthetist, resident, nurse practitioner, social worker, to name a few begin. At 10am he'll be 'served' his sedation medicine, and we'll wait till that takes effect and then he'll have his ultrasound. When he wakes up, we'll continue with meeting the above team members, have an EKG and blood work, and get an orientation and tour of the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit). That should take most of the day.

Wednesday - Surgery day. At this point we don't know when, but should find out on Tuesday. My mom is going to be flying in Wednesday evening and staying until Sunday. It will be great for Nate to have another familiar face there, and for the help she will be to Don and I!


This morning Brady woke up with a bad sounding cough. I'm trying to keep the two of them from interacting too much. The worst thing would be for Nate to develop any kind of cough or illness right now! Thanks for your prayers!

My plan is to post updates to the blog as often as I can so friends and family will know where things are at through out the day. I need to thank all of you for supporting us in so many ways - and for all the encouragement and prayers that we've received - both in person and here on the blog. It means more than I can express!


2 comments:

CK said...

Our prayers are with you!! About 7 years ago we were in your shoes. How time flies! The hospital is an AMAZING place!! It doesn't even feel like you're in a hospital. I hope you'll feel at home, as we did. The hotel is really nice as well, more like an apartment actually. We will be praying for you guys ;)

Marlena said...

Hey Carole!

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. My thoughts and prayers are most definitely with you guys (considering our babies are so close in age) during this time in your lives!! Stay strong!

-Marlena