Friday, January 9, 2009

My Sweet Little Indulgence




This is just what we need....after New Years - and all of our resolutions - and after eating way to much on the holidays!!!

I found out yesterday at Skip To My Lou, that  it was National English Toffee Day!!  When I saw this recipe I could NOT resist.  I told myself that if I could find my candy thermometer, then I'd make a batch.  Well, I found the thermometer, and the rest is history.  (Well, not really history, because it is now on my hips!!)

You just have to try it! This stuff is amazing.  I'm sure it's probably illegal in most provinces!  I overdosed on it yesterday - and paid the price with a chocolate/sugar headache!!  (But secretly worth it!)   Hey - with the lack of sleep I've been getting lately, this is just the pick me up that I need!  

I've always loved Skor bars, and this toffee outshines Skor in every way....I'm imagining it in ice cream, crunched up as a topping, or on it's own.

Skip To My Lou graciously offered to share her recipe and directions....thanks a 'toffee crunchin' bunch'!!!




     *************************************************************



I am happy to be guest posting today! I am sharing my grandmother's recipe for English Toffee!

Alice Belle's World's Best English Toffee Recipe


2 sticks of butter

1 1/3 cups white sugar

3 Tablespoons water

1/2 Cup nuts (optional)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 - 1 1/2 Cups chocolate chips (milk chocolate is best but semi-sweet is good also)

First, prepare a pan lined with buttered aluminum foil. I use a jelly roll pan.



Melt butter in a saucepan and add 1 1/3 cups sugar and 3 Tablespoons water and stir well.



Over medium high heat cook, stirring frequently, until it reaches 300
degrees. If the candy appears to separate (with a layer of melted
butter on top) stir vigorously to make it come back together again.
Watch CLOSELY at 285 degrees, since it cooks quickly and will
scorch at high temperatures.



To show you how quickly it cooks, at 285 degrees I was going to take a picture of it at precisely 300 degrees, but it went too quickly. It can usually go to 310 but any hotter and it will scorch!



At 300 degrees remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Stir in nuts if using (or you can sprinkle on top of chocolate).

Carefully pour toffee into prepared pan smoothing to desired thickness and let set about a minute. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.



Wait about three minutes until chocolate chips are soft and melted from the heat of the toffee. Smooth chocolate across the top of the toffee.



Place in refrigerator until hard. Peel aluminum foil from back of toffee and break into pieces!



Please come visit me at Skip to my Lou!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have pretty much this same recipe....i had a couple extra left from sunday school teachers, and let's just say, it wasn't around too long!!! Enjoying your baking, is a good thing!!!

-d

kristin said...

Were you out looking for a candy thermometer when I stopped by? I wish I had timed it better and come after you'd finished making this!! Looks delish! (pS hope you found the books and that they are helpful)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Skiptomylou! That's a great blog! And save me some toffee for Friday!!!!!!

Carole Hiebert said...

Okay - a bit embarrassed here, but the toffee is almost gone..maybe 3 pieces left!! Don't worry Bonnie - I was looking for a good excuse to make another batch!